SC - marzipan mold material

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Mar 8 18:18:03 PST 1999

Jgoldsp at aol.com wrote:

> try plaster of Paris take the mushroom dip in oil drip a bit pour plaster in
> long mold half can from juice a little less than half full put mushroom in
> half way allow to dry and than make second batch brush dry plaster with a
> little oil pour on plaster until mushroom in encased allow to dry and you
> should have a perfect imprint of a chantrel mushroom in two halves press in
> marzipan in each half trim allow to dry put together with royal icing. That is
> how i did walnuts I put things in the nuts I guess you could do so in the
> mushrooms to have fun

My concern for the shape of the mold for a chanterelle mushroom was
because chanterelles aren't shaped like a standard capped mushroom, i.e.
a champignon or other member of the genus agarica. Yes, it's certainly
possible to cast them, but how do you get the molded food item out of
the mold without tearing or breaking it? You'd need to have a seam
between the two pieces, following the edges and along the stem of the
mushroom, which is a lot of compound curves to deal with if the thing is
simply being carved out of wood or formed from metal. I can't imagine a
shape for a mold that would give you a suitably shaped marzipan
mushroom, but which could allow for the removal of the molded marzipan
by blowing into one end. The closest thing I can think of would be a
tapered tube, with the wide end opening out into an open, topless pan,
sort of like a funnel with the open mouth sawed off at an angle so you
have a fan instead of a cone.

I guess if you know what a chanterelle is shaped like you might see the
difficulty. I think my real question is more like, are you sure whatever
German term that might modernly translate into "chanterelle" was so
translated in period? Could the term have referred to some other mushroom?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com