SC - Names

Robin Carrollmann harper at idt.net
Wed Mar 10 08:34:59 PST 1999

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Lady Elisabeth wrote:

> But leading back to a food topic, out of curiousity, how many medieval
> recipes have been found with the cook's name in them?  You know, like "Paul
> Newman's spaghetti sauce recipe" or was that just not done? Any found for,
> say, "Socrates great and wonderful mixer for parties"?

There's a pork stew recipe in Apicius, named for a friend of his.
Something like Martius, Martial... don't have my copy at hand, so I don't
remember if it specifies whether the recipe was *by* the friend or *for*
the friend.  Platina mentions various friends in his recipes, saying that
such-and-such a recipe is good (or not) for a particular person.

Once you get into late period and post-period stuff, there's a lot of
named recipes.  Digby is full of "my Lady Whiffenberry's Cordial" and
suchlike.

Brighid

Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt dot net