SC - Names (OT)

James L. Matterer jlmatterer at labyrinth.net
Wed Mar 10 13:39:08 PST 1999

Those were some great versions of my name! It seems I've heard every
pronunciation imaginable over the years, from teachers, strangers, etc.

Great-grandpa Louis came to the US from France in the 1870's to escape
mandatory draft into the Prussian army - France had just lost the
Franco-Prussian War, & Alsace-Lorraine was temporarily German. He always
pronounced the name as "Ma-teer." Our family discovered some distant
cousins in Lorraine a few years ago - they pronounce it as "Ma-t'yay." I
can only assume that "Ma-teer" was grandpa's way of Amercanizing
"Ma-t'yay," but that's just a guess. He never claimed to pronounce it
any other way than "Ma-teer."

Huen
- --
A Boke of Gode Cookery