SC - Names (OT)

Sharon R. Saroff sindara at pobox.com
Wed Mar 10 18:26:16 PST 1999

My husband tells a story about his maternal great grandfather when he came
to this country from somewhere Russia or Poland concerning how he got his
last name.  When he came through Ellis Island they asked him what was his
name and he said Shmutzgavitch (I have no idea of the spelling).  Where are
you from? To which he responded Lisocki Litovsk (Again forgive my poor
spelling).  The immigration official then reponded "Welcome to America Mr.
Bernstein".

My father had a similar tale about his father who came here at age 18 from
Lithuiania.  My maiden name is May.  My grandfather's original name was
Mayefeski (Again I am not sure of the spelling).  Oh those wonderful
immigration officials.

Sindara