SC - Names (OT)

snowfire at mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Fri Mar 12 05:16:22 PST 1999

- -Poster: Jean Holtom <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

>> I certainly do not experience a sense of grievous devastation because things
>> aren't the same here as in the mother country, it's just that well... good
>> gentles do tend to sometimes pronounce things quaintly (and wrong) around
>> here. ;-)
>
>And since Thames is generally mispronounced (and misspelled) against its
>actual name, by Britons in Britain, what's your point?

I am a Briton. We pronounce OUR rivers and towns the way WE want to.  River
Thames which flows into New London, is obviously named after the original
Thames which flows onto Old London. Norwich CT is obviously named after Norwich
in England.  As the names are so revered as to be copied faithfully "over
here", then logic seems to dictate somehow that the pronounciation should
follow (?) Obviously it does not. :-)

Besides,there are more of us speaking your language than there are of you. I
>believe that's President's English you're speaking of, ma'am ;  )

<Yawn!>

>> BTW I'm curious.  Is "Cheez n' Crackers" Queen's English?  I don't recall
>> seeing it listed...
>No, I've heard that expression with fair frequency here in Queens...

"Queens" English? (groan);-)

>Adamantius, whose accent doesn't even remotely resemble Fran Drescher's,
>who actually seems to have a Staten Island accent.

Thank you for clarifying this matter for me m'lord. I will be sure not to
mistakenly refer to you as "like Fran" in the future then. ;-)

Elysant