SC - Menagier's Champignons

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Tue Mar 16 13:20:10 PST 1999

Adamantius kindly wrote:

>Bear in mind that champignons are a specific cultivated version of the
>agarica mushroom, and may not be what Le Menagier intended. I don't
>believe the original text uses that word.

I've just now rememered Stephen's Florilegium and read through
the discussions on mushrooms, but much of what interests
me was discussed very early in 1998 or much earlier. I don't
suppose anyone has found out more about mushroom varieties?

>Anyway, my guess is that the preferred mushrooms should have
>formed overnight and be harvested before another night has passed, so
>they shouldn't be more than 24 hours or so old. Le Menagier likes 'em
>young.

*snicker* So without knowing what LM had in mind for his bride we are
left with substituting a small fresh button mushroom?

>Presumably harmless enough, and quite likely good food, but I'm not sure
>that's what LM is talking about. As I recall he says to get some fresh
>baby mushrooms....But I don't think he's talking about marinating them.

Okay. Well, in an effort to get my act together before feast-day, I am
now glad that I prepared the mixture ahead of time and let it sit in
the fridge for >24 hours. I know it's not going to ruin the dish as I
have prepared it and it certainly fed my husband well enough (he had
three servings before I'd finished my one).

Thanks for the help, all.

Jasmine, jasmine at infoengine.com