SC - St. David's Day - Not OOP

snowfire at mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Tue Mar 16 13:42:16 PST 1999

>>Elysant, please tell me more about St. David's Day.  Who's the OUR to
>>which you
>>refer?

>I'm not Elysant, but I can give you some information on St. David's Day,
>and on other things celebrated on March 1st.  I would love to hear from
>the lady from England (or Wales, I'm guessing, is the OUR) just what
>other celebrations do occur.

Yes Wales is OUR :-)

We don't have any other celebrations days that are strictly Welsh actually,
Of course there's England's St George's day in April, St Andrew of Scotland's
day in November, Burns night (?October),  Guy Fawkes night (5th November),
Nothing else in March though that I know of.

On St David's day also, all the little kids (up to about 11 years old) go to
school in National Dress (mostly the little girls), and have class pictures
taken in costume.  The local paper is always full of the pictures from each
school and village.  And usually classes are suspended and instead each
school holds a celebration and/or a mini-Eisteddfod for the day.  You still
have to go to work if you're a grown up though. ;-)

We do have a "Hello World Children of Wales Calling" day on the radio on
February, but I don't suppose anyone knows about that either!

We must be doing something wrong somewhere! ;-)

Elysant