SC - re: digest 1298

Sharon R. Saroff sindara at pobox.com
Wed Mar 17 08:20:36 PST 1999

I don't know what a long pig is.  The Torah specifically states that the
animal must have cloven hooves and chew its cud.

Kosher animals: sheep, goat, cow, deer, antelope, Ibex, moose.

Concerning birds, there are also specific birds mentioned in the Torah as
not being kosher.  Birds of prey such as eagles, vultures, etc. are noted
as are storks.  Game birds such as pheasant and quail are noted as kosher.
Doves, geese, ducks, and chicken are also kosher.  There was some debate
about turkeys being kosher, but that was resolved.

Sindara