SC - Kosher Foods

Margo Hablutzel margolh at nortelnetworks.com
Wed Mar 17 10:01:00 PST 1999

Sindara said:

	>I think Morgan is mistaken, but I was raised that it is traditional
to have
	>dairy on the holiday of Shavuot which was when the 10 commandments
	>was given on Mount Sinai.  The tradition for Chanukah is to eat
things
	>with oil because of the miracle of the oil burning for 8 days.

Those days ALSO.  I have a list, holiday by holiday, as to what type of meal
you are to eat, or not eat.  Yes, it is traditional to eat lots of fried
foods on Chanukah (I don't think I said it wasn't, that's why we're working
on donuts for the meal; potato latkes, the type most people think of, being
unfortunately OOP).  However, as between a milk meal and a meat meal, the
former is more traditional for Chanukah, according to the books I have (a
couple of which are the same as the ones she listed) and the rebbe whom I
consulted about the menu.  OTOH, I have several main-dish recipes for
Chanukah which all involve fried meats, so go figure.  I just do fried
chicken and potato strings and call it good.

Sindara is right about kashrut being more stringent than halaal.  Skipping
wine is easy.  Making sure the animal you are eating has been properly
butchered is not.

And I thought the kosher gelatin I bought was from beef, since my vegetarian
friend would not eat it, although she would eat another kind.  But I will
check again on the box and with her.  (I did wonder, when I was asked out on
a date by a man who announced that he keeps "kosher vegetarian," exactly how
he did that.  Then I figured he cut the veggies with a really, really sharp
knife.  Not being snide, but it made NO sense to me.)

And I know many people who claim to eat kosher who eat vegetarian at
restaurants, or just get a salad.  Which doesn't really answer the issue,
but it's as close as they get without going to a kosher restaurant (and yes,
there are kosher pizzerias and kosher Chinese restaurants - one joke is that
since Chinese civilization has been around about 1,700 years fewer than
Jewish civilization, going by their calendars, what did the Jews eat in that
time?).

						---= Margo Lynn

	           |\     THIS is the cutting edge of technology!
	           |/ margolh at nortelnetworks.com <mailto:margolh at nt.com>  *
Hablutzel at compuserve.com <mailto:Hablutzel at compuserve.com>
	                      Morgan Cain * Steppes, Ansteorra

	                     May God have mercy on my enemies
	                     For they shall certainly need it.

	      For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

                I intend to live forever -- so far, so good!