SC - A different egg question

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Mar 17 15:36:01 PST 1999

In a message dated 3/17/99 12:22:56 PM Eastern Standard Time, mirhaxa at swcp.com
writes:

<< For this
 list, I have a vague notion the cochineal is New World. ;)

 Mirhaxa

This is correct. Cochineal (Dactylopious coccus Costa), is an insect.
Carminic Acid is the red coloring agent obtained from the cochineal whose host
plant is the cactus. It is a natural product, and is the only red coloring
that has no harmful effects on the human body, being therefore increasingly
used in foods, drinks and cosmetics, specially because regulations in many
countries forbid the use of artificial substitutes, which are considered a
health hazard.
The color value of cochineal is measured by their carminic acid content and
COLCA APX can supply 2 different qualities of cochineal: Plantation Cochineal,
produced in our own plantation located in Southern Peru, with 22% of carminic
acid content; and wild cochineal produced in the Peruvian Andean valleys
obtained from a trading net distributed all around the country. - from the Web

Ras