SC - hypocras

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Sat Mar 20 10:59:37 PST 1999

Hi all from Anne-Marie

Elysant asks about hypocras/ipocras/hippocras...
and Cindy sez:
>Hello!  Yes, it's a beverage, a spiced wine drink reputed to give a man
>'corage'. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.  Generally, it was served at the end of
>a meal with wafers, & before the comfits.

My fave factoid is that you tended to buy the spice mixture at the
apothacary (we have mss illos showing the booth, with the sign "good
hippocras" hanging in front), but therres guarenteed to be a recipe for
making it "from scratch" in mostmedieval cookbooks.

Its said tobe good for the digestion :). Interestingly, we have no
documentation that it was served hot like is done so often at SCA events.
go figure! I've seen one secondary source citing a Spanish recipe that is
served hot, but it appears to be medicinal, not after dinner. I'd love to
be corrected on this one, with someone finding a primary source for it
served hot (I love the stuff)...

- --Anne-Marie