SC - jumbles or cracknels recipe needed

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Mar 24 19:04:31 PST 1999

In a message dated 3/24/99 1:28:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
oftraquair at hotmail.com writes:

<< osewater and
 anise.  Now if that's the standard flavoring, so be it, but I'm hoping to
find
 something more pretzel-like and more savory.  >>

We always dip our pretzels in boiling water when we make them for the food
booth at the Arts Festival. I had thought that this was the way to do soft
pretzels...sort of like a bagel stretched thin and twisted.

So far as, the savory of rosewater and anise is concerned . The thing that
would make the combination 'unsavory' would be the addition of sugar. Does the
recipe you mention specify the addition of sugar? Rosewater is not 'sweet' and
is used in numerous recipes from al-Baghdadi. Likewise aniseed is a part of
Five Spice Powder and it's use in Chinese cuisine is decidedly savory for the
most part. Likewise fennel seed (IIRC) is a necessary seasoning in the
production of Italian sausage.

Many spices that we assume to be 'sweet' spices because of modern usage such
as cinnamon, cloves and ginger were not used so for the most part during
period and definitely are used in savory dishes in many cuisines, such as
Middle Eastern, Italian, Thai, India and Chinese cuisines in the modern world.

Any I am sure that Stefan must have a recipe for pretzels which fits the
criteria you describe in his Flori-thingy. Finding one that leaves out the
boiling step may be a little more difficult.

Ras