SC - Dry Site Issues

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Mar 2 15:57:43 PST 1999

In a message dated 3/2/99 4:33:45 PM Eastern Standard Time, harper at idt.net
writes:

<< It contains information about the amount of alcohol remaining in food
 after various time periods and cooking methods.

 Brighid >>

Thanks. Using this infomation I made the following calculations. I hope you
can follow this OK. :-)

The site said that 10 percent of the ALCOHOL is remaining after something is
cooked for 2 hrs.

10 cps broth/broth mixture (9 cps broth + 1 cp wine). Let us say the wine is
10 per cent alcohol. This means that at 16 T wine/cp the actual broth mixture
contains 2 T of alcohol. Already the amolunt of actual alcohol is miniscule
consisting of only one part in 80 for the whole batch or one fifth T alcohol
per serving before any cooking is done..

Simmer the broth mixture for 2 hrs. Natrually the entire liquid volume will
decrease. Let us assume  by half. This leaves 5 cps broth/wine mixture. The 2
T of actual alcohol has now been, according the the Mayo Clinic info
evaporated to 10 percent of the original 2 T or to one fifth of a T alcohol
remaining in the now remaining 5 cps of broth mixture.

We now have 5 one cp servings each 1 cp serving containing only one one-
hundredth of a T or one three-hundreth of of a tsp. of actual alcohol per
serving.

Barring allergies or religious reasons, I fail to see the significance of this
amount of residual alcohol. It is, with regard to any real meaning, non-
existent, IMO.

Ras