SC - Puck's marzipan

pop.efortress.com kappler at efortress.com
Fri Mar 5 13:16:49 PST 1999

Hullo the list!  Sorry I haven't been replying to the posts on my redaction,
but not long after I posted it the forces of evil almost caught up with me
(hush Elysant) and I had to relocate the PuckCave.  The wonderdog and I have
finally settled in the new place, and as you can see the 'puter is back up,
so here goes:

Ian wrote:
>>Hello Puckles!  Full marks for effort in the translation!

Why thankyou!

>>>der gar klein ist so er gestossen is -
>>
>>perhaps:  that are so fine you can pass them through a sieve?

ummm...I think I disagree.  Unfortunately my original notes are still in
some box or other around here, but as I recall 'gar' is to cook, at least
from my training and handy dictionary.  Having said that though, my
dictionary is a modern one, and I haven't used my German in over twenty
years, so much has been lost.  How would you derive you translation m'lord?
I don't see the connection from any of the words in the original.

>>>da wirk ei weiss von
>>
>>if this is really a von, we're missing a phrase here.  Could you
>>check this bit, please?  Might it be 'ein'?  Then it would read 'work
>>an egg white in', which makes sense to me.

well, much of my translation was a labor of figuring out the script, but
this one defintiely seems to be von.  It appeared to me to be one of the few
words in the text that were clear.  (Oh BTW, I remember someone asking where
this came from: sorry, I thought I made that clear in the original post, it
is from Duke Cariodocs site, one of the books still needing translation and
offered up for such, called the 'smaller German cookbook' IIRC)

>>>Nym der oblat
>>
>>Nym is take, not make.  Is there a mould involved?  It sounds as
>>though this may be the case.

That was my thought, but again, my German is so rusty I was reluctant to
make that stretch.

>>>an die leg auff ein Papir.
>>
>>Lay a paper on the oblat (another word I'll check when I get home) -
>>sounds as though you're rolling out on rice paper or similar?

ummm...I read this as lay the wafer on the paper, possible grammatical error
on my part?

>>>nez andertem
>>
>>>leg ein ander oblat daran
>>
>>>es hafft anein ander
>>
>>Are these Fs or Ss?  Although pretty and 'authentic' in feel, it
>>makes it really hard to read when long S gets written as an F.  After
>>all, we don't alter most other lettering.

I read them to be old style Ss, though must admit, I'm not terribly
confident in the nez andertem part.  The manuscript, to my eyes anyway, is
all but illegible at this point.  Or maybe it is just using characters I
don't recognize.

Then Katerina said:

>der gar klein ist so er gestossen is -

> perhaps:  that are so fine you can pass them through a sieve?
[MAYER,ING,SUSANNE    FEM BENAT]
which (der)  very small/ fine (gar klein) is (ist)  when/if  (so) he/it (er)
pounded (gestossen ist, past tense)
Mandel /almond is was maskulin in this context (der Mandel, he), today it is
feminine die Mandel (she)

the problem I have with this is that, as I understood it, in German the
second word in a sentence is always a verb.  Now, the modern translation of
'gar' is as an adverb :sufficiently cooked.  Could it not have been used as
a verb in the MA, such as roast and braise are both verbs describing a type
or method of cooking?  That was my take on it anyway.  Leaving the verb to
the end of the sentence just doesn't seem right to me.

> >an die leg auff ein Papir.
>
> Lay a paper on the oblat (another word I'll check when I get home) -
> sounds as though you're rolling out on rice paper or similar?
[MAYER,ING,SUSANNE    FEM BENAT]
could an be an un, then it would be und which means and
so this would read: and lay it (the wafer) on a paper

> >da mach du den marcipan
>
> make the marzipan
[MAYER,ING,SUSANNE    FEM BENAT]
on this (da is  here for a location) make you the marzipan

Ok, I'll buy that, though I took da (again from my dictionary) to mean then,
as in a preperatory phrase: then you make the marzipan, or then take this
glob you just made and turn it into the final product if you will.

more in a bit, Puck