SC - rabbits in England

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Mar 5 23:08:06 PST 1999

Yes, but those rabbits exported to Austraila could well have been introduced
by either the Romans or the Normans. Just because they survived from say
1000 to 1700 doesn't mean they could or did survive from 200 to 1000.

For one thing, the rabbits that were introduced to Austraila probably weren't
wild in England but rather cultivated rabbits.

Stefan

> Rabbits survived very nicely in England actually; well enough that they then
> exported them and foxes to Australia so that people could continue to hunt
> and of course now they are a terrible pest.
> Kiriel

> > From: Stefan li Rous [SMTP:stefan at texas.net]
> >
> > The Romans also introduced rabbits to England. The rabbits don't seem
> > to have survived that long after the Romans left. Do we have any evidence
> > of whether the almond trees did?

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: