SC - Question

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Mar 7 06:29:51 PST 1999

In a message dated 3/7/99 9:05:12 AM Eastern Standard Time, Bronwynmgn at aol.com
writes:

<< << Can anybody tell me the periodocity of this recipe

  <<http://jeru.huji.ac.il/ef43.htm> >>

 Well, there don't seem to be any hideously out-of-period ingredients
(although
 I can't vouch for the herbs), >>

This caught my eye as well. Although the herbs included in the recipes were
grown in period, I am unaware of their use as a major contributing 'spice'
during the time period sited. It am inclined to agree that these recipes are
simply modern recipes which resemble known descriptions of foods that may have
been served during the Byzantine period.

The most glaring tidbit that pops out at me is the lack of oriental spices
(e.g. cinnamon, cloves, etc.). This is highly unusual for that period or any
period within the SCA time frame other than early modern cuisine (post-1450
C.E.) and is definitely unusual for a noble table. This leads me to the
conclusion that these recipes are most likely NOT based on any real Byzantine
counterparts. IMO, the recipes on the site woukd be possible combinations but
are highly unlikely to have been produced  or served by an actual Byzantine
cook.

Ras