SC -found recipe apple orange tart

Tollhase1 at aol.com Tollhase1 at aol.com
Sun Mar 7 07:33:33 PST 1999

Went through my stuff.  The Recipe came from The Good Huswifes Handmaid for
Cookerie in her Kitchen (1588).  I originally found this recipe on the net.
The original redaction is by Gretchen Miler (Margaret
Macduibhshite)grm+ at andrew,cmu.edu

for a tarte of apples and orange pilles.  take your orenges and lay them in
water a day and a night, then seeth them in faire water and honey and let
seeth till they be soft;  then let them soak in the sirrop a day and a night:
Then take forth and cut them small and then make your tart and season your
apples with sugar, synamon and ginger and put  in a piece of buttar and lay a
course of apples and between the same course of apples a course of orenges and
so, course by course, and season your orenges as you seasoned your apples with
somewhat more sugar, and lay on the lid and put it in the oven and when it is
almost baked, take Rose water and sugar and boyle them together till it  be
somewhat thick, then take out the Tart. and take a feather and spread the rose
water and sugar on the lit and let it not burn.

I am paraphrasing her redaction below:

9"  pie crust with lid.
6 medium oranges.  I used Valencia oranges, through though temple oranges,
blood oranges, and Seville oranges should all work as well.  Both
Bitter(seville) and sweet oranges were available during the 16th c.  Don"t use
Navel oranges: the skins are too thick.

Four cups water
1 1/3 cup honey
14 small Macintosh apples.  Any small cooking apple should do.
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
2 Tbs. rosewater
1 Tbs. sugar

Soak oranges in water 24 hours.  Put honey and water used to soak oranges to
boil in a large sauce pan.  Simmer until skins are soft.  When soft, place
oranges, Pour syrup over oranges and store for another 24 hours.  Add water to
completely cover oranges.

When ready to bake.  Preheat oven to F 350.  Slice oranges and remove the
seeds.  If the syrup has not completely saturated the rinds, boil the slices
in the syrup until saturated.  Chop the oranges into small pieces, and mix in
1/3 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp. ginger.  Peel, core and quarter
apples, mix with remaining sugar, cinnamon and ginger.  Place layer of apples
at bottom, then a layer or oranges.  Continue until full.  Put on lid, bake
for one hour.

Apx 10 minutes prior to being done mix sugar and rosewater to make syrup and
put on 5 mins prior to finish baking.

Tollhase comments:

I found that this recipe worked quite well, Although I found that I did indeed
have to boil the oranges to get them saturated.  Perhaps as she suggested, the
skins were too thick.

For feast (making lots of these) I plan on altering the recipe slightly.  I
will use Marmalade instead of boiling the oranges and season them with honey.
I will cut up a couple of oranges per pie and mix with the marmalade.  I use
powder forte to taste.  That means probably a tablespoon or more.  I plan on
preassembling them and then vacuum sealing them.  Bake them on site.  Still
feel that the smell of fresh baking pies and bread always makes one hungry.

In the service to the dream,

Lord Frederich Holstein der Tollhase.