SC - Citrus Fruit History (long)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Mar 8 08:11:02 PST 1999

Tollhase1 at aol.com wrote:

> I must confess that I have had both dishes at several feasts that I have gone
> to, that I did not check my sources.  I will do so now.  Thanks for bringing
> up that point and keeping me honest.
>
> Does anyone else have recipes for humus or the hot curry over wild rice, dried
> fruit wish Kasha (whole buckwheat)

I think HG Cariadoc's point was more about finding dishes to serve from
period sources, rather than worrying about whether the dishes you plan
to serve are documentable period dishes.

I can't help you on the hummus with tahini, I'm afraid, except to say
I've never seen it in a period source.

The hot curry seems unlikely on several fronts, since chilis appear to
have become widely used post-period, being from the Americas, as is wild rice.

And, FWIW, the whole cheese/bread/butter thing at the beginning of a
meal seems to be way off prevailing medieval European medical theory
(dairy products, especially cheeses and cheese dishes, would normally be
served at or near the end of the meal to close the chest and stomach up
while digesting, and I've seen no evidence of butter being spread on
bread in medieval Europe, and some evidence to suggest it was not).

However, I know it can be difficult to go against local tradition, too.
But if you want to, you do have three months or so to look at some
period sources and decide if you want to introduce some more period
foods. This is not to say that what you have is not good food or
anything. It sounds like a fine meal, and if some of us didn't feel a
cook for an SCA event has a sort of duty to educate his audience/diners,
I'm sure there would be no adverse comments.

Nitpicky though we can be at times, we're here to help.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com