SC - Dairy Products (long) - was: Bread and Circuses, was: Citrus Fruit ...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Mar 9 19:46:02 PST 1999

"James L. Matterer" wrote:

> Ras and all - I have scanned the picture in question and have put it,
> along with a blow-up of the Latin text, on the web at:
>
> http://www.labs.net/dmccormick/huen/butium.htm
>
> Can anyone offer a translation?
>
> Huen

Not necessarily a direct translation, but here's what it says in English
under the same illustration for entry #36, in the Liege Tacuinum section
of "The Medieval Health Handbook", a collated and translated collection
of several tacuina:

"36. BUTTER (BUTIRUM)
Nature: Warm and moist. Optimum: That which is made from sheep's milk.
Usefulness: Against superfluities in the lungs caused by the cold or by
dryness. Dangers: Renders the stomach apathetic. Neutralization of the
dangers: With astringent substances.   (f.39)"

HTH,
Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy