SC - RE - Rissoles on a Fish Day

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Wed Mar 10 05:15:25 PST 1999

It sounds delicious Phillipa!

Is batata known by any other names? I've never heard of it before.

General question; Redon says in "The Med. Kitchen" that thyme and tarragon
were grown in gardens but not used in the kitchen. Is this right? I have no
idea as to the veracity of that statement as regards French/Italian food,
does anyone have any hard documentation either way?
I noticed Hiett uses thyme in a couple of redactions in Pleyn Delit - 38.
Herb Fritters and ?96. Lamb stew, but in both cases it's where the original
recipe states to use unspecified "good herbs/herbs". Disregarding the
Islamic dishes, a search of Cariadoc's Miscelleny turned up thyme (tyme)
named specifically in two dishes in Two C.15th Cookbooks (Rastons and Capons
Stwed) but not tarragon (although tarragon is used in the 'Capons Stewed'
redactment in the mix of unspecified "good herbes", and thyme in the
Platina's 'Flesh of Veal' redactment as "aromatic herbs" )
So was thyme used only in English cooking? Was it disregarded in
French/Italian cooking? What about tarragon?

Cordiamente,
Lucretzia

Lady Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia   |  mka Tina Nevin
Thamesreach Shire, The Isles, Drachenwald | London, UK
thorngrove at geocities.com | http://www.geocities.com/~thorngrove
"There is no doubt that great leaders prefer hard drinkers to good
versifiers" - Aretino, 1536