SC - Names (OT)

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Wed Mar 10 18:50:12 PST 1999

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999 Balano1 at aol.com wrote:

> a guess - "MAY-TRA"  ?????

My guess was 'Mat-ruh', but I guess I was wrong.

I have trouble with heralds who can't pronounce what I thought was the
relatively simple 'Montgris'- (moan-gree is the closest I can get on a key
board) I get called 'Mount-grease' if I get called at all. (Can't make the
'just don't call me late for dinner!' joke 'cause I'm usually the cook!).
If anyone has contact with the College of Heralds, I would suggest that
they hold classes at their symposium specifically on basic pronunciation
in non-English names (even just vowels would help). I suspect that it is a
class they might do in some places, but I have never seen one advertised,
and experience suggests that they aren't being taken.

and now back to your regularly scheduled programming,

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731