SC - Tzimmes

Sharon R. Saroff sindara at pobox.com
Sat Mar 13 20:57:27 PST 1999

I have seen recipes in kosher cookbooks that mix various meats.  Most
people that I know that make cholent (including my grandmother, my mother
never made cholent because she is allergic to most beans) put both beef and
chicken.  Rabbit is very specifically mentioned in the Torah as not kosher.
 Goat, lamb, beef, chicken and other fowl are ok.  I know that pheasant and
quail are both kosher.  Quail is mentioned in the Torah as the meat that
was rained down on the Hebrews in the desert.  Deer, antelope, and I
believe moose are also kosher.  There is a specialty butcher in the
Memphis, TN area that advertisers that he can get by special order kosher
deer, goose, and game birds and animals.

My mother made a pilaf for Sabbath that I have found to be much like some
Hammeem recipes (Hammeem is the predecesor of cholent mentioned in the
Talmud).  Unfortunately it is not period because it has tomatoes.  I have a
great recipe for Dafina (Middle Eastern Cholent) that is basically an
evrything stew.  I'll post it if there is interest.  I have made it a
couple of times and it is great.

SIndara