SC - Corned Beef Question

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Mar 16 23:07:45 PST 1999

Gertraud asked:
> Was "corning" a period practice?  Did it vary from area to area?  What meats
> were corned?

>From earlier discussions here it doesn't look like it was a period practice,
although there may be some similar preservation techniques.

> Also, ham was preserved by smoking, I think.  Was that a
> period practice?  Were other meats smoked?

Ham was salted and/or smoked in period. Yes, other meats were
smoked such as sausages.

For some more discussion and recipes, see these files in the FOOD
section of my Florilegium files:
ham-msg           (25K) 11/ 3/98    Period ham. Modern sources. Recipes.
meat-smoked-msg   (10K)  3/20/98    Medieval smoked meats. Smoking meats.
sausages-msg      (80K)  1/12/99    Period sausages. Making sausage.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
          http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html ****