SC - Cheese soup

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Mar 16 19:18:51 PST 1999

At 10:17 AM -0500 3/12/99, Jeff Gedney wrote:

>Does anyone have nay references to a dish that would now be called
>"cheese soup". I have been requested to find one for easter dinner.

>From le Menagier de Paris by way of the Miscellany:

Green Broth of Eggs and Cheese
Menagier p. M-22

Take parsley and a little cheese and sage and a very small amount of
saffron, moistened bread, and mix with water left from cooking peas, or
stock, grind and strain: And have ground ginger mixed with wine, and put on
to boil; then add cheese and eggs poached in water, and let it be a bright
green. Item, some do not add bread, but instead of bread use bacon. [end of
original]

3 T parsley
1/2 oz cheese, grated
3 small leaves fresh sage
5 threads saffron
2 thin slices = 1.5 oz white bread (or bacon)
2 c pea stock or dilute chicken stock
1/8 t ginger
1 T white wine
1 3/4 oz cheese, grated
3 eggs

Soak bread in stock (either water left from cooking peas or 1/2 c canned
chicken broth + 1 1/2 c water). Grind parsley, sage, and saffron in a
mortar thoroughly; add 1/2 oz cheese and soaked bread and grind together.
Strain through a strainer; if necessary, put back in mortar what didn't go
through, grind again, and strain again. Mix wine and ginger, add to
mixture, and bring to a boil over moderate heat; be careful that it does
not stick to the bottom. Stir in the rest of the cheese; break eggs into
soup, and continue to simmer until eggs are poached.

Note: We have used both Gouda and cheddar cheese; both are good.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook