SC - Kosher Foods - OOP

Robin Carrollmann harper at idt.net
Thu Mar 18 07:11:38 PST 1999

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999 cnevin at caci.co.uk wrote:

> Out of curiosity - what about genetically modified foods? Are they kosher?
>
> - Lucretzia
> (which I spell this way in a losing attempt to get it pronounced correctly)

Interesting question.  I remember reading a short story some years ago in
which a lab bred a genetically-engineered strain of pigs that chewed their
cud.  Although the project had an entirely different motive in making the
alteration, a rabbi ruled that these pigs were kosher, and demonstrated
his point by eating a ham sandwich at a press conference.

As to whether this really would be the case, I do not know.  I suspect
that "Analog" (or was it "The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction"?)
is not a valid halachic authority.  :-)

Brighid

Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt dot net