SC - Allergies and children's behavior -OT -OOP

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Fri Mar 19 06:06:14 PST 1999

My Dear lady, I am afraid I must disagree with you.
some allergic medicine textbooks state clearly that there here are seven distinct types of allergy, only two or or three types are "Immunoglobin Mediated" (the traditional rash, anaphylaxis, etc., symptoms), Some of those cause no "EXTERNAL" symptoms, but may cause hives and swelling in INTERNAL ORGANS, such as liver, kidneys (sound familiar), or the brain of susceptable children.
Because such allergies cannot be tested for by the traditioal "scratch test", they are often not clinnically testable without doing an extensive and sustained "double blind palcebo controlled" study. That is not something that a doctor can do in one or two half hour office visits, so they go undiagnosed, because of the limited resources a doctor has for such a diagnosis.
Read the following book:
"Is This Your Child? : Discovering and Treating Unrecognized Allergies in Children and Adults"
by Doris J. Rapp

It saved my sanity. I thought my son was going to have to be put on a heavy Ritalin dosage for his life.

When I did the recommended "Elimination diet" foods study, I found that he had a surprisingly common "behaviorally exhibited" food allergy to CORN and CORN PRODUCTS! (like Dextrose, corn syrup, corn starch, etc.)  If my son stays on his diet and doesn't cheat, he is as sweet and normal as one can expect a ten year old boy to be, If he cheats, he is Violent, whiney, combative, and has no inpulse control.
If he eats a corn product, I can see the change happen. He gets scolitic, pasty faces, dark circles under the eyes, bright red and hot ears ( A characteristic marker for his type of allergy), and rapidly becomes fidgety to the point of violent behavior. All in about two minutes. Real Scary "Jeckyll and Hyde"  stuff, but he shows no hives.

A frequent indicative factor in such allergies is the presence of other more traditionally exhibited allergies, and/or athsma.
Both of which my son has.

Perhaps you need to see another allergist.

Jeff Gedney
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Voice Recognition Technologies
Dictaphone, USA
Mailto:JGedney at Dictaphone.com

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999 Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au wrote:

> Maybe the hall is very red food colouring allergy aware.  If you serve red
> punch where there are children about it could end up pretty messy, with
> reactions including uncontrolled violence, hysteria, and generally running
> around high as a kite.  Red food colouring is a pretty common allergy.

Personally I would suspect the sugar , not the dye. However, when the dye
generates this kind of a response , the medical-types call it a
_sensitivity_. The group my allergist is in is pretty adamant that a true
food _allergy_ involves an anaphalactic response. Hives, wheezing, etc.
Iam am _sensitive_ to fresh ginger- I'll spend the rest of the day in the
bathroom, but I am _allergic_ to my beloved avocadoes, which nearly killed
me last time I partook. The throat swelling shut was especially scary.

'Lainie (who will eat an entire bowl of guacamole if she ever needs to
commit suicide)
- -
Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
 Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731