SC - hypocras

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Sat Mar 20 10:49:21 PST 1999

Hello!

I made some hypocras about 2 weeks ago from Robert May's recipe in The
Accomplisht Cook.  (This is the 1st hypocras I've tried with cream.) When I
made it, it had the consistency of egg nog, very thick, as expected, & very
cloudy from the cream.  I didn't finish it, so I put the bottle in the
fridge & forgot about it.  I just looked at it now & it is totally clear --
not a trace of the cream is left, not even on the bottom of the bottle.
There's only a slight film of spice at the bottom.  The flavor is very much
improved, spicy with a rich creamy aftertaste, & very much more pleasant to
drink.

The original says nothing about aging the wine.  A recipe from Martha
Washington's CB says it may be kept a quarter of a year, but other recipes
seem to indicate serving immediately after straining out the spices.

I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this & had the same thing happen?
Also, what happened to the cream?

Regards,

Cindy