SC - Possible corned-beef substitutes

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 22 11:00:53 PST 1999

>> Has anyone served plain boiled meat?
>
>Yup.
>
>Elinor Fettiplace's Receipt book has an excellent dish of leg of mutton
>or lamb boiled and served in an egg-yolk-thickened lemon/white wine
>sauce made from the cooking broth which is, as they say, to die for. I
>may get a chance to post this later this evening.
>
>Adamantius

I have this at home, (currently overdue, again) and I will have a look
at it, esp. since some of the spicing in my Spiced Beef is new world.  I
just sort grabbed onto something I'd recently tried for the family and
ignored the details in my late friday before the Sunday taste test final
planning flurry. I am a procrastinator, I knew the only way that I'd
have anything like a firm plan far enough in advance of the feast was to
plan a tasting dinner!  and so it came to pass. I was getting kind of
frantic for another meat dish and got sucked in by that recipe though I
know that "traditional" doesn't mean a thing for our purposes and now
you remind me of the new worldliness of allspice.
Earlier, when I tried the spiced beef for my family and didn't have
allspice,I substituted cloves. It was delicious, but substituting
ingredients in a non-period dish in order to make it more perioid is not
really any better than just using the non-period recipe since the
technique is the wrong thing mostly.

Tonight, I will post my proposed menu to see if there are other glaring
problems, but I do beleive this is the only one.  And if I substitute a
nice boiled joint it should all come out OK.  Or, if I ask the baron
very nicely and if it's not too late for him to very nicely ask his
boss, there is a larger pig cooker to be had for only the cost of the
propane.

Bonne