SC - jumbles or cracknels recipe needed

Bonne oftraquair at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 24 10:27:36 PST 1999

I need a recipe for pretzels or cracknels or jumbles, preferably one of the
period recipes mentioned below (none of which I have access to). I knew that I
had seen these discussed on the list, but in the books I do have access to, I
can only find "To make Iambles" in "Sallets, Humbles and Shrewsbury Cakes" by
Ruth Beebe (at least, I think that is where this photocopy came from).  That
recipe doesn't include the boiling step, and flavors them with rosewater and
anise.  Now if that's the standard flavoring, so be it, but I'm hoping to find
something more pretzel-like and more savory. The only other thing I have found
is Cracknels flavored with fennel mentioned in the Fettiplace book, but no
recipe given.

By the way, Cindy, this recipe requires flour that has been "dryed in an Oven"
and might be another use for the cooked flour you have.  Let me know if this
is a reference you don't have and I'll type it in for you if you'd like.

Thanking you all in advance,

Lady Bonne