SC - Khushkananaj (was: Ideal vs. practical)

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Fri Mar 26 12:12:50 PST 1999

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Cindy Renfrow wrote:

> The bread recipes that follow this in the MS also do not call for water, so
> your assumption seems valid. If you use *hot* water instead of cold water,
> this becomes a type of hot-water crust pastry.  I'm looking at the recipe
> for this in Mrs Beeton.  Her recipe requires a *rest* once the flour, fat,
> & liquid have been kneaded together.  The rest makes the dough stretchy &
> easier to work with. Could this be what your recipe wants us to do?

It occurs to me that my piecrust recipe- a hot water dough that my
grandmother called 'never fail' does this- it is softer after a rest,
though quite 'short' when baked. Somehow a short pastry is not quite what
I think of as Middle Eastern, but my 'thinker' has been wrong before...

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731