SC - Suggestions

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Tue Mar 30 10:19:20 PST 1999

I will leave the comments on the menu to others more experienced with such facilities, but my immediate thought is for the refridgerated and frozen items that will be served on site, such as the Chicken and stews, and such.

I now from some experience in my back yard, and at Pennsic, that cooking/warming frozen food on a charcoal or propane cooker, out of doors, is unpredictable at best. You will need to take care that these items do not get above 40 degrees for more than a couple of hours (total), and that which to be hot should stay above 140 degrees.
Keep thermometers in the coolers, and label what goes into eack cooler, so they someone looking for an ingredient doesn't keep opening all of them and rummaging to find it. this conserves the ice, and helps keep the food cool.

One thing for sure, take no chances, Food poisoning at a primitive site is no joy, I can tell you that!!

"When in doubt, throw it out"

I'll say this: You will never have as much Hot water as you need, so make up a solution of bleach and water to rinse cutting boards and utensils with, after washing between uses, and have a large container of hand sanitizer ready in the kitchen, and make sure your staff uses it every time the re-enter the kitchen (whatever the reason they leave the kitchen area), and after handling any meats or fats.

Keep two large pots for boiling water, and keep one on the fire, while you have the other in the kitchen for rinsing and cleaning pots and dishes and hands.

I hope you have a sink to go with the spigot, if not remember to dump all wash and other water at least 20 feet away from where you are cooking, to keep the flies away, and the footing clean.

Brandu

>>> <CONNECT at aol.com> 03/30 12:00 PM >>>
Good Gentles,

If all goes well, I will be cooking a feast for 120 at a state park with no
kitchen facilities other than a power outlet and a spiget for water.

Knowing of these primative conditions, I'm planning on renting a 5ft by 2 ft
charcoal grill plus borrowing a number of propane burner thingies. What else
should I be thinking about bringing to the site to make life a little easier
for myself?

Here's the proposed menu as I envision it at this time:

Grapes
Lemonade
Flavored Waters

Roast Beast
Cheese, Egg and Bread Soup
Roast Onion Sallat
Turnips with Cheese
Bread

Cold Chicken in Sage Sauce (chicken cooked in advance & frozen)
Vegetable Cheese Tarts  (made in advance & frozen)
Sallat with Vinaigrette
Strawberyes

Rabbit Stew (made in advance and refrigerated)
Grilled Eel
Butter'd Greens (I'm thinking maybe of doing peas in oil here tho?)
Sautee'd Mushrooms
Preserv'd Pears  (made in advance)