SC - Eating dairy on Chanukah

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Mar 31 22:33:56 PST 1999

Margo Hablutzel wrote:

> (I know that joking like that gives some of the perfectionists on the list
> little twitches.  My goal is to see if something like this was done in
> period and use that receipt, not to force period recipes into modern forms
> so that I can use the modern version.  My favourite example is "To Make a
> Fine Brede" which comes out very much like angelfood cake - which doesn't
> prove that angelfood cake is period, but shows that something like it was
> known back then.  It doesn't give me leave to buy angelfood cakes to serve,
> but does give me leave to "Make a Fine Brede" and serve that, translating
> the title as "angelfood cake."  Or am I too far off base here?)
>
>                                                             ---= Morgan

Well, it's not really a matter legal precedent or what you have leave to
do. Does the Fine Brede actually resemble angelfood cake for the same
reason angelfood cake has its particular characteristics, or is it light
and spongy, white and ever so slightly rubbery for a different reason? I
assume it has all these characteristics or it wouldn't really resemble
angelfood cake.

I ask largely out of curiosity: I'm not familiar with this recipe,
perhaps you could post it, and the source, at some point?

But yes, sometimes it doesn't hurt to help people deal with an
unfamiliar food by identifying it with a modern food the people would be
familar with. This would all depend on your interpretation of the dish,
which may be completely different from someone else's. So, for example,
the cuminade de poissons in Le Menagier de Paris might be said to
resemble a Southeast Asian coconut-milk curry in certain respects: if
someone has been exposed to, and likes the curry, they'll probably like
the cuminade.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy