SC - Dry Site Issues

Ingus Moen ingus_moen at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 2 14:31:45 PST 1999

> Other than the obvious "precook" option, there are a couple things you
> might do to alleviate the site authorities.
>
> 1)A week or so before the event, go buy a bottle of Ocean Spray grape
> juice.  Drink it, then put the wine in the grape juice bottle (white
> grape juice for white wine, red for red, of course...) and take the
wine
> to the event in the grape juice jar.  Get apple juice to put beer in.
>
> 2)If they're REALLY sticky about it and you're REALLY worried, then
boil
> the wine and/or beer at home for 10-20 minutes.  In that time, all the
> alcohol should have evaporated, but will still keep the flavor of the
> given spirit.  Let it cool, and pour it into the grape juice/apple
juice
> jar (see #1).
>
> One other aside....non-alcoholic beer has alcohol in it....a VERY
SMALL
> AMOUNT but it's there, so if they're cool with non-al beer, they
should
> have no problem with #2.

Now, these are just my opinions but:

  Option number one seems very dishonest to me.  If they have
specified that it is a DRY site, then you should obey their rules if
you want to use the site in the future.

  Option number two is just plain wrong.  I'm sorry, but alcohol
doesn't evaporate (not to the degree that you imply).

I generally substitute white or red grape juice for wines, and I
don't pick recipes that require beer.  Although I certainly can't
tell you not to use alcohol, you might want to go the pre-cook route
wherever possible if you do use it.

And to beat a VERY dead horse (please don't hit me for it), don't
forget to list the alcohol in the ingredients list you post -- non
alcoholic beer still has enough alcohol in it to make me sick for
days, and to make those of us with religious objections very unhappy.

Claricia Nyetgale

Milady Claricia,

As to the purportion (is that even a word--purportion?) of dishonesty, I
made no statement that these were in any way the moral high or
lowgrounds, merely that these were ways to deal with the situation.  I
can easily tell the difference in taste, for example, between Beef
Stroganoff cooked with red wine and Beef Stroganoff cooked with grape
juice (for the record, I prefer the wine).  The sole reason of switching
jars is so that there will be no wine bottle in the trash, leading the
governing party to think that there was consumption of alcohol for its
own sake.  Of course, this is not the way to be a role model, but then
the polls state that as long as the job appears to be getting done that
morals don't matter (Uh-oh, politics is creeping in...better get to the
next point).

AS to the second, *I'M* sorry, but when one boils a bottle of wine or
several bottles of beer (one will evaporate completely in that length of
time) in a large skillet for several minutes, one reduces the liquid and
boils off the alcohol.  It is pure chemistry.  If I had said "bring it
to a boil", then I could have agreed that some will stay behind, but
boiling for a prolonged period (not rolling, else you will scorch it
into goo, but up to boil and simmering at that temp for the pre-ascribed
10-20), it will reduce down and be non-al.

And to the third point, that one we are in agreement.  Thank you for the
reminder to ALWAYS mention the use of alcohol in dishes (for allergies
AND religious purposes).  Good call.  That point cannot be made often
enough.  I'll shield you from the tomatoes being thrown and you keep
jumping on it.

Regards,
Ingus