SC - Blue sauce - Blackberry types

Huette von ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 2 17:48:06 PST 1999

Melissa,

No, not true.  Americans know the difference
between blackberries and black raspberries.
I grew up in a berry patch.  We grew blackberries
black raspberries, red raspberries and boysenberries.
There are also varieties of yellow and purple
raspberries.

All of these are of the genus Rubus.  The European
red raspberry is R. idaeus and the American red
raspberry is R. strigosus.  The black raspberry
is R. occidentalis. I don't remember the Latin
names for the rest.

You can tell the black raspberry from the blackberry
in that the raspberry grows a rounder/more circular cap of fruit and
the blackberry is more elongated and
cylindrical.

Huette
(whose father and great-uncle were close friends
of Walter Knott [as in Knott's Berry Farm].

- ---"HICKS, MELISSA" <HICKS_M at casa.gov.au> wrote:

> Greetings again,
>
> When I first made this recipe I used commercial "blackberries" from
the
> supermarket here in Canberra, Australia.  The sauce came out red -
it never
> "oxidized to dark-blue" as the Redon redaction book said it would.
> Strangely the translation says nothing about "turning" blue - just
that it
> IS blue.
>
> I then bought some Blackberries (Rubus fruticosus) from my local
Organic
> markets.  These berries were picked fresh and ripe that day by the
owner of
> the shop. I have been cultivating a friendship with these owners and
believe
> that these berries were picked fresh that day.  They are the type
considered
> as "wild blackberries" here in Australia.  According to my
half-English
> husband, they are identical to the "Blackberries" growing wild in
England.

> However, this sauce stayed red too !!!!
>
> While these experiments were going on, Lord Ras tried the recipe
using wild
> "blackberries" he had picked last year from whatever part of America
he is
> from.  The juice of these berries was a dark blue-purple and I
believe the
> sauce was a blue-purple colour.  Is this right Ras?
>
> According to Bear, what Americans call "Blackberries" are actually
Black