SC - four and twenty blackbirds

Heitman fiondel at fastrans.net
Wed Mar 3 11:22:27 PST 1999

At 08:36 AM 3/3/99 -0600, you wrote:
>The baking has probably coagulated the gluten, so your flour is no good for
>leavened bread.   It will certainly work as a thickener
>Bear

UM,   what makes flour work as a thickener is the gluten strands breaking
and reforming into longer strings. So.... if the gluten has already
coagulated, how is it then going to be effective as a thickening agent?

As I said before, you can test its gluten properties easily by making a
small batch of roux blanc. if it works, then the gluten is still effective,
and the flour can be used as you would have before. If it doesn't, then as
a dusting powder is a great idea.

franz