Fw: SC - Puck's marzipan

pop.efortress.com kappler at efortress.com
Fri Mar 5 13:42:20 PST 1999

Ian wrote:
>>If inger really does mean Enger (and I can't think of any better
>>definition), that implies compression, and we're just going to crush
>>the wafer (which is still not attached to the marzipan because it's
>>been lined with paper).

Did I miss something?  Inger is ginger, or so I read in my dictionary, and I
thought it made a tasty liitle addition to the recipe, so never sought to
derive a different meaning for the word.

>>This doesn't really make sense to me, and I think we need to beware
>>of automatically assuming that a word used in period had the same
>>definition it does now (like Dirne).  Sure it may have, but we need
>>to prove that to ourselves first.

I agree wholeheartedly, and in fact when translating the original had to
make many derivations from what I read in the manuscript (again, many parts
were difficult to decipher) to modern words that were very very close in
either spelling or pronunciation.

>>On the other hand, why don't we just fry the rotten things and call
>>them cuskynoles?

Egads!  Please don't drag poor lil' Puck into a third rendition of the great
cuskynole debates.  I just dasn't know if I has the strength for it ;-)

>>Cairistiona
>>
>>PS.  Don't let's get upset over this stuff;  I want to see at least
>>some of you when I move to Belgium!

On the contrary, its a new, and kind of neat experience to have the list
discussing something relating to me besides the normal "didja see what that
silly bastige did this time?"  Of course you realise though, that my barely
controlled good behaviour is possible only due to the thought of Cecil, B.,
and DeMille surveying this discussion from cooking Valhalla as it were.

oops! giggling again, Puck