SC - Citrus Fruit History (long)

Tollhase1 at aol.com Tollhase1 at aol.com
Mon Mar 8 10:55:30 PST 1999

Actually, I am not offended in any way, nor did I even think that there was
anything meant but educational information.  If I have been defensive in my
manner, I apologize.  In mundania, I am currently helping to restore a 1920s
movie palace in which there are no verbal or pictorial evidence.  I am
currently looking at what other houses would have done by the same studio as
well as taking my sander and taking off the history layer by layer to get it
right.  Realizing that pigments change due to light exposure and chemical
reaction with the air.  I also realize that I must find the old spots that
have not been removed or altered greatly during remolding.  So far I have
raised more questions than I have found answers.  And this information's is
only about 70 years old.

I totally agree in the belief that we as period cooks need to educate not only
our own palete, but those that come to our feasts.  During our guild meetings,
I have served some very period things.  Some good, some were never made again.
I particualy loved my fennel sops from plain delite, but no one else did.
However for feasts, we are trying to bridge the gap between really period, and
not having everyone go to fast food places.  Our shire votes on the menu.  If
they don't like it, it won't be made for feast.  Again as I said in an eariler
post, I had been served similar things at other feasts, and had not taken the
time to check my facts.  Shame on me.  And thank you for stopping my from
continuing the same mistake.

Furthermore, This actually solves a couple of problems.  I had wanted to cut
the curry anyway.  So know I can by telling the truth, Its not period to the
best of my knowledge.  By the way, are not curries an Indian dish.  Would not
the overland routes passed through the northern part of that continent?  Or
would it have been picked up by the western movement of the Mongols?  If I
understood properly, its the humus and the curry that people had problems
with?

As for the bread/butter and cheese, yes it local tradition.  It seems the
fighters want something to nibble on.  I have been told clearly that bread and
cheese is what they want.  Its interesting that butter was not used on breads,
or that it would have been served near the end of a meal.  I know I have read
in one book or another, that cheese really was not eaten at feasts a lot.
That it was more of a common mans food.  Could you list some sources that I
may learn more.  As I am integra of our cooking guild, I know I have a lot to
learn.

I am also looking for a German recipe for a breaded chicken which uses
hazelnuts and breadcrumbs.  I was told that a recipe exists, but no one in
this area can put there hands on their copy of it.

Thanks again for the information.  We are all hear to learn and enjoy good
food.

In the Service to the Dream,

Lord Frederich Holstein der Tollhouse