SC - Names (OT)

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Wed Mar 10 18:56:12 PST 1999

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Sharon R. Saroff wrote:

> My husband tells a story about his maternal great grandfather when he came
> to this country from somewhere Russia or Poland concerning how he got his
> last name.  When he came through Ellis Island they asked him what was his
> name and he said Shmutzgavitch (I have no idea of the spelling).  Where are
> you from? To which he responded Lisocki Litovsk (Again forgive my poor
> spelling).  The immigration official then reponded "Welcome to America Mr.
> Bernstein".
>
> My father had a similar tale about his father who came here at age 18 from
> Lithuiania.  My maiden name is May.  My grandfather's original name was
> Mayefeski (Again I am not sure of the spelling).  Oh those wonderful
> immigration officials.

My maiden name is Klaassen, and the family members arriving on different
boats got different spellings from different officials. Clawsen, Clausen,
Klausen, Klassen, Klaassen, etc. There's nearly as many different
spellings as I have uncles (which is a lot). But they were all pronounced
the same- so why was it as a kid only two of my teachers could say it
right? (Mr Gallegher cheated- he knew one of my uncles.)

Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731