PAge finishing (was RE: SC - Initial impressions of A Drizzle of Honey)

Nick Sasso Njs at mccalla.com
Fri Mar 12 07:54:54 PST 1999

Thanks all!

It appears that it is, indeed the case that the pages were unevenly
cut at the front edge (regularly varying different  lengths) were a
publisher's feature for the book.  The pages are a heavier fibrous
material, and the volume is physically very neat and tidy.  A new book
in every respect.

Just Got my copy of The Medieval Kitchen, too.  I am very pleased that
the origianl text is included in an appendix, by the same order as the
translated recipes.  The list of sources is also user friendly by my
assessment.  The sources are listed with the recipes lifted therefrom,
given a code of sorts (MP for Le Menagier, etc.), and the code used in
the main text body as reference.  Seems very easy to use, and I have
not yet evaluated for accuracy the recipes they chose to use.  The
French Toast from 15th Century Italian source looks awfully tempting!!

pace e ben,

niccolo difrancesco

> I look forward to reading more of this book, and wanted to give a
> really brief overview of this source for those who are considering
it.
>  Worth the $25 give or take including shipping, in my opinion.  The
> only problem I have is that the pages on mine are really ragged on
the
> ends. . . should I have expected that from Amazon, or is this a
reject
> that Ishould send back?
>
> pace e bene,
>
> niccolo difranceco

It's not common these days, but ragged page edges have often been used
by
design.  Presumably it makes it easier to turn the pages.  In my
experience
it appears most often in books with slightly heavier more fibrous
paper.

Without seeing it, I couldn't tell you if the pages were cut that way
by
design or error.

Bear