SC - more almond milk questions

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Mon Mar 15 21:05:23 PST 1999

You can get about 1 gallon of almond milk for every pound of almonds.
The method Ras describes works well, but you can re-grind your almonds
3,4,or 5 times with new water, as you will get more almond solids and oil
out of every grind.  When we did it last month, what was left tasted like
sawdust.  We drained it well, and a friend took it home to incorporate
into soaps as almond fibre.  Mix all of the batches together.
To make almond cheese, take the milk (say 2 cups worth) and put it in a
pot with about 2 tsp. sugar and a splash of rose water.  Let it boil for
some time (a large enamel pot works well, as the small volume of liquid
when boiling will climb the sides of the pot just like milk). When it has
boiled for a while, you will see that it has separated into curds and
whey.  Using your trusty cloth and collander again, pour your mixture
into it and let it strain.  The foam on top of the liquid is your curds,
and the whey that drains out is very pale, moreso than skim milk.  (We
fed the whey to the dogs).  Take the cloth with the drained curds, and
squeeze it to remove leftover moisture.  I put a plate on mine and
pressed it for a while, and then squeezed again.  When it is drained, it
will form a ball.  Refrigerate this and let it rest for a while.  It sets
up to the consistancy of firm sour cream, or whipped cream cheese.  It is
delightful as a spread.   I would do it without the rosewater for a more
savory spread.  There are several recipies for this in Digby, Plat, and
Guter Spice.  They are called Almond Cheese and Almond Butter, both names
pretty much describe the same product.  It makes a nice alternative to
dairy for Lent (or for those of us doing with less dairy).
Mistress Christianna MacGrain