SC - A different egg question-part 2

Linda Peterson mirhaxa at swcp.com
Wed Mar 17 09:36:21 PST 1999

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Lady Elisabeth wrote:
> Actually, I remember a discussion on this list a while back about tea boiled
> eggs that come out marbled.  Does anyone still have that info?  Did we
> decide the best way/tea/etc ?

Boil the eggs until almost hard (enough for the next step). Take out of
water and crack gently all over. Whacking with the back of of spoon works
well to get it crackled evenly without crushing the hot egg. Put eggs into
a pan of tea which was made by steeping black tea until completely
undrinkable (about 20 minutes). Add a little Five Spice powder, 1/4 tsp?
Boil for another 10-20 minutes and let sit in the hot tea until cool,
another hour or so.

Don't you love precision recipes? ;)  This is one that is infinitely
variable by type of tea and spicing. The original was Chinese but has no
indication as to period older than modern.

  mirhaxa at morktorn.com