SC - Re: [Rinaslist] Re: kosher animals

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Wed Mar 17 11:40:27 PST 1999

Hello Everyone,
	With our current discussion of what is kosher and what is Halal, let me speak
for the Jewish side ( :-)  ) and forward this list of things kosher that I got
from my Orthodox friend.  If I wasn't such a lazy bum, I'd look this info up
in my many Judaica books and quote you chapter and verse.....oh well!  :-)
A premature good Shabbos to everyone (whenever they celebrate!)
Phillipa

Okay.......the rules in SHORT:

Animals that have split (cloven) hooves and chew their cud:  eg: cows, sheep,
goats, deer, buffalo (yup, but not many shochtim will shecht
them...explanation below.) even giraffes are kosher, but being that no-one
knows exactly where their carotid artery is, they cannot be shechted...until
the Moshiach comes, and then apparently, he'll have the knowledge where the
vein is exactly, so as to cause the animal the least amount of pain.)

Fowl:
chicken, ducks, turkey, game hens.

Fish:
 must have scales and fins.

NO:
rhodents, crawling things, including those that crawl in the sea....shrimp,
scallops, octopus,lobster, etc.

SHOCHET:  A ritual slaughterer, trained to kill the animal in the least
painful manner, with extreme speed and preciseness.

TO SHECHT: the verb used instead of saying 'kill'.

SHOCHTIM: the plural of shochet.

BTW, a shochet has to train for at least 7 years in the Halacha (Laws) of
ritual slaughtering, as well as the rest ....i.e.: The Torah, Mishnah,
Gemorrah (Latter two Called
the Talmud), etc.
That's it in a nutshell.
 -Shel.
PS: I did not go into the laws of kashering the meat/fowl after it's been
slaughtered, as this is another subject  altogether.