SC - what the symbols mean

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Wed Mar 17 19:49:56 PST 1999

OY VEY already!!!
A "K" is JUST a letter of the alpahbet and cannot be copyrighted, therefore it
is useless as a certification mark.  The "U" symbol you refer to is actually
refered to as "O-U" that is, a "U" inside a circle.  This *IS* a copyrighted
symbol from the Union of Orthodox rabbis, based I  believe, in NY.  "O-U"
means kosher.  "O-U-(small) P" means kosher for Passover and  "O-U d" or "O-U
dairy" means that it is kosher but dairy.  And, lastly "O-U paerve" means the
item is kosher and contains no milk or meat products.
Phillipa