SC - Ideal vs. practical

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sat Mar 20 14:28:14 PST 1999

Anna Potts wrote:

>>>Not all of us can afford to play totally
>>>period, so we do the best with what we have.  Most of the food that my
>>>camp eats isn't from period recipes, but it is a type of food that did
>>>exist at that time.

I responded:

>>Recipes from period cookbooks don't cost any more to make than modern
>>recipes using similar ingredients. Or were you using "afford" in a
>broader
>>sense, to include not only costs in money but also the cost in time and
>>effort of learning medieval recipes?

She replied:

>Yes, also cost in time and effort, but also cost in money.  The example
>that started this discussion was a prime example.

That was an example of a particular dish which was more costly to do in a
more period fashion. But you were talking about feeding your camp--which
doesn't require you to feed them gourds.

You can feed your camp just as cheaply (in money and cooking time) with
period recipes as with modern recipes--the only extra cost is locating and
working out the recipes. Our favorite Pennsic dish is a 13th c. Andalusian
lentil dish, which is probably less expensive to make than what most people
at SCA camping events cook, since the main ingredients are lentils and eggs
(served over rice).  Another couple of favorites are two Andalusian frying
pan pastries, where the main ingredients are flour, water, butter, honey,
and (in one of them) eggs.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/