SC - SC Eggs Question

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Mar 21 05:33:10 PST 1999

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Why do you say you persume this is the item Americans call kersosene?

Because I'm pretty sure Dick's Encyclopedia is a British publication
containing literally thousands of other examples of clear British usage
over American usage...

> I wouldn't coat *my* eggs in kerosene but I would coat them in parafin.

Maybe not, but you aren't the author of the book, and what seems like
common sense to you (or me) doesn't necessarily support what someone
else does...you aren't suggesting no one has ever recommended something
that could be harmful to humans in an old book, are you? Sure, if it
were me, I'd use wax, or not bother with anything, since I've never had
to keep eggs for any significant length of time, and two or three days
in a basket at room temperature have never posed problems for me. With
eggs, that is ;  ) .

I didn't comment on the health aspects or even the efficacy of the
measure, I just posted what the book said. I wouldn't coat eggs with
kerosene myself, but that's not part of the question that was asked.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com