SC - cheap camp cooking for pennsic

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Sun Mar 21 09:08:40 PST 1999

I find what is the best investment for a prolonged
encampment for cooking is to invest in a 17 litre box of red
and white wines for cooking, the price is a bit better, and
you dont have to worry about transporting glass bottles! i
choose a wine that i would normally drink, because lime Ras,
i will not cook with inferior ingredients, and if i wouldnt
drink it in the first place, why would i want it in my
kitchen? right now, i am out of red, but the white is an
inglenook chablis, and the red we had last was a gallo
mountain burgundy. granted, i will [when i indumge in
alcohol] tend to drink a nice german cabinet with dessert, i
will serve my cooking wine without a qualm.

i also like to make hearty dishes like the lentils and rice,
or a nice green pea[ok, made with splits, because that is
what i can get cheaply in bulk at my local store] as the
smoked ham hocks dont require much in the way of cold
storeage and i add bits of chopped sopresata as well; if i
splurge i like to make bukenade[beef and pork stewed in red
wine, more or less] and beef y-stewed and good hearty stuff
like that. I will admit to serving the pensic 25 queen of
trimaris shrimp alfredo an capellini, however! I find that
though oop in ingredients, the boxes of beans labeled either
minestrone or 12 bean soup combined with dry pasta, and
sopresata and a dollop of beef glaze is wonderful in a nippy
evening!
margali