SC - Re: hypocras

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Sun Mar 21 20:25:57 PST 1999

renfrow at skylands.net (Cindy Renfrow) said something that sounded like:
> I made some hypocras about 2 weeks ago from Robert May's recipe in The
> Accomplisht Cook.  (This is the 1st hypocras I've tried with cream.)

So far we've only tried one with cream as well. We intentionally picked
it out because it had cream in it.

> I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this & had the same thing happen?

We didn't try the same exact recipe. We tried one of the Martha Washington
recipes. (#259 on p 239 of your book)

Our rendition of it was:

1 gallon of wine               1 pint of whole milk
2 lbs of granulated sugar      4 whole nutmegs
1/2 ounce ginger root          1/2 ounce coriander seeds
2 ounces of cinnamon sticks

Grate ginger. Break cinnamon pieces, corriander seeds and nutmeg with
pestel. Mix wine and spices and 1/2 sugar. Mix milk and other 1/2 sugar.
Combine mixtures and let sit for 24 hours. Filter into bottle.

We refridgerated it during the sitting and after filtering.

It was definately a lot better as a cold drink than a warm one.

Honestly, I think after trying hypocras with and without cream, I'll do
most of mine with. It's way yummy. *grin*

> Also, what happened to the cream?

If you shake it up, the creamy color comes back. It was the slight filmy
layer on the bottom of the bottle. It is much more impressive to get
that flavor without the cream color though.

As for the person who metioned not documenting the type of wine, my
personal feelings are that it only matters for reproduction of the
specific recipe. For an A&S competition, I wouldn't care unless I wanted
the recipe for myself.

Ciao,

- --