SC - German potato soup recipe???

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Mar 25 17:04:34 PST 1999

Vanishwood at aol.com wrote:

> Doesn't the book The Delectable Past have a 1544 Swiss recipie for Rosti?
>
> Ethelwulf

Three years under the wire!

>From "The Delectable Past", © 1964 Esther B. Aresty, Simon and Schuster,
NYC. :

"Let the nobility have their master-chefs. The role of family cook fell
more naturally on the Hausfrau, and in 1598 one Swiss cook -- Anna
Weckerin -- completed the first cookbook ever written by a woman. A
recipe in it bore a close resemblance to Rösti, the delicious sauteed
potatoes that are as Swiss as William Tell. For delighted cheers, serve
them with your next steak or roast beef.

RÖSTI..."

And Aresty proceeds to give an ordinary recipe for Rösti (actually a
rather simplified one, turned only once).

She does not include the original recipe. At least she gives some
documentation so we have a chance of locating the original and checking
it against her redaction. I dunno. She uses New World ingredients, it
must be wrong...;  )

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy