SC - Khushkananaj (was: Ideal vs. practical)

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sat Mar 27 05:17:23 PST 1999

His Grace wrote:
>The original recipe gives an explicit ratio, by weight, for flour to oil--4
>to one (a ratl has 12 uqiya) and specifies what kind of oil to use. The
>recipe you quote from Waines has a ratio of more than  12 to one, and
>specifies a different kind of oil. So it looks as though the book is not to
>be trusted--something I didn't know, not having noticed that he had that
>recipe.
>
>His glaze of melted sugar and milk correspond to nothing in the original.
>It rather looks as though he is using a modern middle eastern recipe that
>is vaguely similar to the medieval one, but that's only a guess.

When  last I made khushknanaj  I used sesame oil but did not notice the
ratio difference.   I will correct the ratio in the future.  I did not glaze
it as  Waines suggests but I did brush it with a egg glaze during the baking
process.   I made the dough in food processors, if I remember correctly it
was a production run of tasties for some small event.