SC - flour milling

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Mar 29 22:02:23 PST 1999

Bear commented:
>         There are a number of local mills that produce limited amounts of
> flour, usually as a historical recreation or for the health food trade.  If
> you have one of these near you, you can get fresh flour from them.  Caveat:
> You want stone ground.  Roller milling separates the wheat germ.

Is this because of the grinding technique or the the material of the grinding
wheels?

For instance as I understand it, medieval large-scale grinding involved
rotating two discs of stone about a vertical axis. But his could be
done with two discs of metal.

Roller milling involves pushing the wheat between two rollers rotating in
the same horizontal axis but offset. I imagine that this too, could be
done with stone rollers.

Or is roller milling done by rotating a roller around the top of a stone
disc with one end of the roller connected to the center of the disc?

Is "stone ground" just a more homey way of saying a vertical axis mill
rather than actually referring to the material of the grinding surface?

How does a roller mill seperate out the wheat germ?

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
          http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html ****